I haven’t tried a lot of different salmon dishes, because I am always worried that they will be too fishy. This particular dish, however, was not what I expected. The wasabi was a highlight of the dish and in doing so it changed how I think of salmon dishes, as well as what small condiment can change the whole dynamic of a dish. I highly recommend this dish, if at the very least, for exploring what wasabi can do!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 30 minutes Serves: 2 people
Ingredients you need to cook this shit:
- 1 Veggie Stock Concentrate
- 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice
- 2 Scallions
- 1 Lime
- 4 TBSP Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Wasabi Paste
- 10 oz. Salmon
- 6 oz. Green Beans
- 1 TBSP Sesame Seeds
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil
- 1 TBSP Butter
- Salt and Pepper
Directions on how to cook this shit:
- Wash and dry all the produce. Bring 1 cup water and stock concentrate to a boil in a small pot. Once boiling, add rice. Cover, lower heat, and reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Keep covered off heat until meal is ready.
- Trim, then thinly slice scallions, keeping greens and whites separate. Zest lime, then cut into wedges.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, 1/2 tsp lime zest, a squeeze of lime juice, and wasabi paste (add slowly to desired taste). Season with salt and pepper. (Taste crema and add more lime zest, lime juice, or wasabi as needed).
- Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Pat salmon dry with a paper towel and season all over with salt and pepper. Add to pan skin-side down. Cook until skin is crips and flesh is almost cooked, 5-7 minutes. Flip and cook on other side to desired doneness, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pierce green bean bag with a fork and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes (or until beans are tender). Carefully remove beans from bag and transfer to a large bowl alone with a drizzle of oil. Toss to coat beans, then add sesame seeds and toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Full rice with a fork, then stir in 1 TBSP butter and scallion whites. Season with salt and pepper. Divide rice and green beans between plates. Arrange salmon on top of rice, then dollop with crema. Sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.