We recently joined a challenge at a gym and to complement it we decided to try Tom Brady’s TB12 meals from Purple Carrot. So far the meals have been gluten free and 80% vegetables BUT also sort of Bleh! This meal though I thought was really good and definitely something that I would make again so I thought it was worth putting on here! The meal is nice and high in protein and doesn’t leave you feeling heavy afterwards either.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Serves: 2 people
Ingredients to cook this shit:
- 1 Shallot
- 1/4 cup Red Lentils
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/4 tsp Red Chili Pepper
- 1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 7 oz. Banza rigatoni (Gluten Free Chickpea Pasta)
- 1 Zucchini
- Fresh Basil (one bunch)
- 4 TBSP + 2 tsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Directions to make this shit:
- Wash your shit! Peel and mince the shallot. Rinse and sort the red lentils (by sort they mean make sure there is no debris aka rocks in them). Peel and mince the garlic. Slice the zucchini into half moons, about 1/2 inch thick. Hand tear the basil leaves.
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 tsp olive oil. Add the minced shallot and cook until slightly softened, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add the lentils, just 1 cup of diced tomatoes (use the rest as you like), and 1 1/4 cup water. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until Step 6.
- Place a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta. In a medium bowl, combine the minced garlic, oregano, as many of the chili flakes as you’d like, 1 tsp nutritional yeast (the rest will be used later), 3 TBSP olive oil, and a pinch of salt to a medium bowl. Stir well.
- Set the broiler to high. Add the Banza rigatoni to the boiling water, stir, and reduce heat slightly. Cook until al dente, about 6-8 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup pasta water, and then drain the pasta. Return rigatoni to the pot and stir in 2 TBSP of the garlic oil and a pinch of salt.
- Transfer the zucchini to a baking sheet and toss with 2 tsp olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the remaining nutritional yeast. Place on the middle rack and broil until the nutritional yeast is toasted and zucchini is tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the lentil bolognese and stir, adding more pasta water if you prefer a thinner sauce. Season the lentil bolognese with salt, taste, and add more if necessary.
- Divide the rigatoni between large shallow bowls and ladle on the lentil bolognese. Top with the roasted zucchini and drizzle with the remaining garlic oil. Sprinkle with the remaining basil.