I have never attempted to cook duck before, and so this week was a treat when we got the chance thanks to our favorite delivery service. Duck definitely is interesting. I thought it was delicious but cooking it was different than I expected and the mess it makes made me feel like I was cooking bacon (the skin is very fatty). I will say that I would gladly make this recipe again though and I am open to trying other duck recipes!
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes Serves: 2 people
Ingredients you need to cook this shit:
- 12 oz. of Fingerling Potatoes
- 12 oz. of Duck Breasts
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/4 oz. Rosemary
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Blood Orange
- 2 TBSP of Maple Syrup
- 1 TBSP Whole Grain Mustard
- 2 oz. of Arugula
- 1 tsp of Olive Oil
Directions on how to cook this shit:
- Wash and dry your shit. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Pick and roughly chop enough rosemary leaves to give you 1 TBSP. Mince or grate garlic. Zest orange until you have 1 tsp zest, then remove peel from flesh. Slice flesh crosswise into rounds.
- Place potatoes in a large, tall-sided pan or large pot with enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and cook until easily pierced by a knife, about 15 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return to pot.
- Pat duck dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Place skin-side down in another large pan. Cook over medium heat until skin is crisp and most of the fat has rendered, 12-14 minutes, pouring off and reserving fat as it renders. (Lower heat if skin burns.)
- Adjust heat under pan with drained potatoes to medium-high, then pour in just enough reserved duck fat to cover bottom surface in a very thin layer. Add 2 tsp chopped rosemary. Cook, tossing, until potatoes are crisped and browned, 3-4 minutes. Toss in garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper, then remove potatoes from pan.
- Combine maple syrup, 1 tsp mustard, orange zest, and remaining chopped rosemary in a small bowl. Once skin is crisp, flip duck over in pan. Spoon maple syrup mixture over duck. Cook until mixture is thick and sticky and duck reaches desired doneness, 2-5 minutes. Remove duck from pan and set aside on a plate to rest. Pour remaining sauce in pan into a small bowl.
- Place arugula, orange rounds, a drizzle of olive oil, and another 1 tsp mustard in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir another 1 tsp mustard into bowl with reserved sauce, along with any juices released by duck. Slice duck crosswise, then divide duck, potatoes, and salad between plates. Drizzle sauce over duck.