Who doesn’t love sugar cookies? Now add a super fun colorful swirl and you get a fun variation on a Holiday favorite! I added red sugar on the outside of the cookie as well, the original recipe I saw this from had different colored sprinkles, the choice is up to you!
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 min Total Time: 2 hours 30 min Serves: about 25 cookies
Ingredients you need to make this shit:
- 1 1/2 cups Butter, softened
- 2 cups White Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 cups all purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- Food Coloring (red and green)
- Sprinkles or Coarse Sugar (red sugar is what I used)
- Wax paper or cellophane
Directions on how to cook this shit:
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Split the dough into three different sections. Make a volcano in two of the different sections. Add your green food coloring into one volcano and red food coloring in another volcano. Then dig your hand into the different bowls and mix the dough so that the color is as even as you can get it. Once finished mixing, put the dough back into the refrigerator for 20 minutes to get it chilled enough to roll out.
- Grab some wax paper or cellophane and lay a section out. Sprinkle a little flour out as well as put some on your rolling pin. Slowly roll out your different colored dough on either different wax paper or cellophane so that you have three different rolled out dough in similar sizes.
- Slowly place (help is definitely suggested for this part) one layer of dough on top of the other. You obviously want the dough layer to touch the other dough layer while doing this. You will not be cooking any cellophane or wax paper!
- Once they are stacked trim the edges, so that all the layers line up as nicely as they can. Once trimmed, go ahead and start slowly rolling the dough together into a log. (I had some sections where the bottom layer did come up a bit, and if that happens to you the good news is you will be putting sprinkles or sugar on the sides and it will help cover any messes up!)
- Chill the dough again one you have your nice log for another 20 minutes. While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once your dough is chilled, take it out and cut with a knife your cookie slices from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. Before putting your cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet, make sure to dip the edges into your sprinkles or coarse sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes and allow to cool completely. ( I know these feel like a lot of work, but the picture above is from my first attempt at making them and they really do come out looking festive and amazing!)