Thumbprint cookies are always fun for the Holidays and having a chocolate peppermint flavor with green coarse sugar helps with some festive flavor and color. These were easier than anticipated to make, although I think I will try to make a deeper thumbprint next round. After the first round of baking they really do flatten out quite a bit so you need to make sure you indent again without cracking the cookie!
Prep Time: 45 min Total Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 min Serves: about 25 cookies
Ingredients you need to cook this shit:
- 4 ounces (110 grams) Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (190 grams) all-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 large Egg Yolks
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- Coarse Sugar, for rolling ( I used Green for Christmas )FOR THE FILLING:
- 3 ounces (85 grams) white chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
Directions on how to cook this shit:
- In a double boiler or heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, melt the chocolate. Stir until smooth, then remove from heat to cool slightly.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar and brown sugar together on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks one at a time, mixing after each, followed by the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture all at once and mix until just combined. Form the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into rounded tablespoons and roll in the course sugar. Place on the prepared sheet pan and use your thumb or a dowel to create a well in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and reinforce indents with your thumb or dowel. Return to oven and bake for an additional 4-5 minutes, just until cracks begin to form in the cookies. Remove from oven and reinforce the indents again. Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the filling: In the microwave, heat the cream for about 30 seconds until boiling. Pour over the chocolate, let sit for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth. Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Pour the filling into the cooled cookies. Let cookies firm up in the fridge for 15 minutes. Store cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to several days.