I don’t often cook half a chicken, but this really was amazing and not that difficult to make. It also looked beautiful once plated and the glaze was delicious. The crisped garlic was new to me as well, but combined with the scallion greens they looked lovely on top of the chicken.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 60 minutes Serves: 2 people
Ingredients you need to cook this shit:
- 2 Scallions
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 24 oz. Half Chicken
- 1/2 cup of Jasmine Rice
- 3 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 5 tsp White Wine Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Ketchup
- 6 oz. Green Beans
- 9 tsp of Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Sugar
Directions you need to cook this shit:
- Wash and dry all your shit! Adjust rack to upper position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Thinly slice scallions, keeping greens and whites separate. Mince garlic. Place chicken skin-side up on a foil-lined baking sheet and rub with a drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- While chicken bakes, heat 2 TBSP oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add half the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until crisp, 3-4 minutes. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Increase heat under pot to medium-high and add scallion whites. Cook, tossing, until softened, about 1 minute. Add rice and toss to coat. Stir in 3/4 cup water and a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower heat, and reduce to a gentle simmer. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pan over medium-high heat. Add remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, 1 TBSP ketchup, and 2 TBSP sugar. Bring to a simmer and let bubble until slightly thick and sticky, 3-4 minutes. Season generously with pepper, then remove from heat. (If glaze becomes stiff, store in a splash of water)
- Once chicken has roasted 30 minutes, remove from oven. Adjust rack so that it is about 8 inches from broiler, then heat broiler to high. Toss green beans on same sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper and spread around chicken. Broil until both are lightly browned and chicken is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Remove sheet from oven, then brush chicken all over with half of the glaze. Return to broiler and continue broiling until glaze is set, about 1 minute.
- Let chicken rest 5 minutes after removing from oven, then cut between breast and leg to divide into two pieces (halve breast and divide leg to give everyone both white and dark meat). Divide rice and green beans between plates. Arrange chicken on top of rice. Drizzle with remaining glaze. Sprinkle with crisped garlic and scallion greens.