I found this recipe while attempting to make this dish for the first time, and it make me look like a rockstar. There are definitely easier (shorter) ways to probably cook lasagna, fully aware, but I made this and gave it to an Italian and got glowing reviews so it’s in! Lasagna is great for group settings, but do keep in mind that this shiz can get expensive (relatively anyway) to make. I always forget until I go to buy all the cheese and tomatoes and then I say “WHAAT??”. I have used precooked lasagne noodles before as well…… it works just fine btw.
Prep Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes Serves: 12 people
Ingredients you need to cook this shit:
- 1 pound turkey sausage
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup minced onion ( I usually use yellow)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 3/4 pound low fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions to cook this shit:
- Mince the onions, crush the garlic, chop the parsley and slice the mozzarella.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir turkey sausage, ground turkey, onion, and garlic until well browned, about 15 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Then bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups turkey sauce in bottom of 9×13 baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over sauce. Spread half the ricotta over noodles. Top with a third of the mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups turkey sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with aluminum foil; make sure foil does not touch cheese to prevent sticking.
- Bake in preheated oven until sauce is hot and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes more. Remove foil and bake until cheese is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.